Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Blogless in Sandwich

Twice in the past week people asked me why I have not written a blog post recently. Others have said the same thing in recent months. It is not that I don’t have anything to say. It is just that my thoughts are not publishable.

I have written articles and never posted them. Sometimes they were printed in the local newspaper in the religion column I write for. But hardly anyone reads that, so it is almost the same as not publishing them!

Some of my articles are still sitting in a folder on my laptop. Others I deleted after writing, being too controversial for a small town pastor to voice publicly. Still others disappeared when my hard drive crashed a few months ago. I see that as divine intervention.

I have been thinking a lot about persecution of Christians in the world. The destruction of ancient Christian communities and public executions of Christians have been weighing heavy on my heart. I have been thinking about the rise of Islamic extremism. I have been watching with concern the marginalization of religion and the eroding of religious liberty in our country.

I have been thinking of the growing crop of presidential hopefuls. (Lord, save us from them!)  I have been thinking about the ruling class in America. I am increasingly disgusted with the two main political parties, and I wonder how anyone can believe in them anymore.

I have been increasingly amazed by the senseless tripe that is paraded as news on the major networks. Every channel runs exactly the same stories, with the same footage. They run the same stories night after night. New, unique, and important events are happening every day in the world, and they are ignored by the media.

You see? That is why I have not written anything. I get upset. I feel like I am in a Wachowski movie. I have chosen the red pill, and sometimes wish I had taken the blue one. Life is so much easier when you believe whatever you want to believe. I have also been reading the novels of Philip K. Dick recently. That does not help.

I am increasingly dismayed at Christian religion in America - mainline Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, and evangelical Christianity. The anti-scientific bias in Christianity – liberal and conservative - astounds me. The narcissistic introversion of popular spirituality amazes me. The cultural captivity and herd mentality of both progressive and evangelical Christianity repulses me. Where is Kierkegaard when you need him?


You see, I am already saying too much. I probably should have kept some of those thoughts in the folder on my laptop. Anyway, this is why I have been blogless. Now you know. But who knows? Perhaps this post will be the beginning of a change.  

No comments: