Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Sitting on My Back Porch


Sitting on my back porch, God speaks. God speaks the cosmos into being, just as God did in the beginning. The maple trees spring from God. They are Divine Fullness expressed as trees. The flowers are God expressing Godself through flowers. The stones of my old stone wall pop with Being. The insects are Being buzzing – bug Being. They are Being being bugs.

Even the furniture on my porch is Being emerging in the form of chairs and tables. The hummingbird feeders spring forth from Being, providing sustenance for hummingbirds, which are God manifesting Godself as hummers. They appear as different and separate things, but in essence they are one.

There is only One, expressed as two and three and ten billion things. But all are One. Jesus said, “I and the Father are One.” (John 10:30) He said of his followers, “I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one - I in them and you in me - so that they may be brought to complete unity.” (John 17:22-23) He said, “On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.” (John 14:20)

This is the day. I am one. There is no “me” separate from God or anything else. Just one. Just human being sitting on a porch. I want to capitalize the word and say human Being, but I am afraid I will be misunderstood by my Christian brothers. But it is so obviously true I will say it anyway: human Being. I am Being being human - enveloped in the unconditional love of Divine Being.

Human beings tend to be unaware of Being, but are Being nonetheless. Saint and sinner are both Being. Monster and Messiah are both Being. Good and evil are both Being. As the Scripture says, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” (Isaiah 45:7) Human evil is human being unaware of Being and fighting Being, but still in the end – and the beginning - Being.

No distinctions. No separation. No differences, except on the level of appearances. “Appearances can be deceiving,” as the saying goes. But appearances fall away in my backyard and only Being remains. A dance of appearances, expressions of the creative joy of God. A divine drama of One appearing as Many, awakening to the Reality that it is One.

No comments: