Monday, February 11, 2019

Primary Prayers


They are lining up to become president… again. The New Hampshire primary is one year away. Presidential hopefuls are already beginning to dip their toes into the frigid political waters of New Hampshire. What drives this quadrennial parade of would-be messiahs? What makes us think that things will be any different this time?

It is not that I don’t enjoy the game. I could do without the annoying political phone calls and ads, but I enjoy meeting the candidates. I like shaking their hands and asking the occasional question. I will drive up to an hour to hear stump speeches from candidates of both parties. I saw almost all of them last time around, including the present occupant of the White House. In the end I am nearly always disappointed.

Most of us have lived long enough to realize things will never be the way we think they ought to be. Jesus said there will always be wars and rumors of war. He said the poor will be with us always. He has been proven right so far. 

So why do I get my hopes up again? I am not looking for a Savior. I already have one. I am not looking for peace of mind or soul. I have found that also. I am not looking for security. There is no such thing. I have no loyalty to a political party. I am independent and unaffiliated. I am just hoping that things can be better for more people in our society, especially those who are the worst off.

On the sign in front of the church we attend in Florida is a permanent quote from the Hebrew prophet Micah. My wife and I have cherished the verse all our lives. When we were young we valued it so highly that we gave our youngest son the middle name Micah. It reads, “What does the Lord require of you? It is to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”

In spite of the disappointments, my faith leads me to hope that a president can make a difference. I hope that all people – regardless of their race, gender, ethnic heritage, sexual orientation, gender identity, financial status, religious beliefs or lack of them, their disabilities or differing abilities – that all peoples may be welcomed as full and equal members of American society.

I pray that we will not destroy the natural environment of our planet beyond repair. I pray that all people may live in freedom and without fear. I pray that children can grow up without the threat of gun violence or drug addiction. I pray that children will not needlessly die of preventable diseases. There are so many issues. I could easily extend the list to a dozen more.

I know it sounds idealistic, like something out of a Martin Luther King documentary. But it is people I am concerned about, not politics. I meet the candidates not to learn their stances on the issues. I could do that research online. I meet them to look them in the eye and hopefully find a compassionate, ethical human being who has the intelligence and the experience to make a difference in our country. I’ll settle for three out of the four. So I hope and I pray.

No comments: