Friday, June 4, 2010

A Room With a View

When I kneel in prayer and meditation each day, I face a window that opens onto my backyard. Years ago I chose this setting so that I could look upon God's creation as I prayed. But recently it has served a purpose I never imagined. It has become a metaphor for my life.

As I look through the window I am aware that I am a window that opens onto the world. My consciousness is an opening in an unconscious world. The world is not completely unconscious of course. The rabbits and birds in my backyard are sentient also, but they not conscious that they are conscious. As a human being I am a self-conscious portal of consciousness through which the creation is aware of itself.

As a human being I am a creature, a part of creation. My body is made 100% from the elements of the ground. I am dust and to dust I shall return. As a member of the species homo sapiens, I share 96% of my genes with my simian cousin the chimpanzee. I am an animal among animals. I feel the kinship. I am a creature too.

But I am a human creature. As a self-conscious creature, I look out the window into creation. I am aware that I am a window of consciousness through which creation is aware of itself. I am creature conscious of creation. Through me creation looks in the mirror and sees itself. Through this window creation is aware of Creator. Through this window creation prays to Creator, and Creator answers creation.

Scripture repeatedly tells us that God is Spirit. God has no physical eyes or ears or body. So we serve that purpose. The Scriptures says that his people are the Body of Christ and the Temple of the Holy Spirit. God uses our eyes to see, our ears to hear, our body to smell and touch and taste.

The consciousness of God meets the conscious creation through the consciousness of man. I am a window. I am a being aware of Being. Being looking at itself. What a view!
_________________
Art is The Open Window by Juan Gris, 1921 (150 Kb); Oil on canvas.

No comments: